6.12.2011

Remembering elementary school

Here we are in front of the little elementary school I attended for 9 years! I have so many treasured memories of this place! It has changed so much, but there are still a few things that seem the same.
That swing set and the circular play gym thing is the same! The monkey bars are the same, but they have been painted. There used to be several other play gym-type things, a really high slide, and some uneven bars for climbing. The grounds of the school used to be surrounded by beautiful pine trees and weeping willow trees! We used to LOVE to play around the school grounds. We even climbed the trees sometimes, even if we really weren't supposed to because of the insurance polices. Fortunately, no one was ever hurt while climbing the trees! Way out in the field you can see the softball field where we played kick ball and soft ball! When it snowed we played fox and geese out there in the field, and built snow forts. We also used to build "hay forts" when they came down to cut the thick grass out there.
This is me and my son, Isaac in front of the school!
This is me and my favorite Crissy doll when I was four years old! Amazing! This photo was taken more than 27 years ago. Now that I've typed that number, it seems much bigger. Yikes!

This is a photo in the school library! I used to love to walk around in there and find some new books to read. The books in the lower right corner of this photo are the "Mandie" books, and they were some of my absolute FAVORITES!
Same chalk board, same piano, same cabinetry, and I think those chairs might be some of the same ones (not sure, but they look like the ones we had).
Same clock! Same paneling on the walls, same shelves, same globe!
See those oak-colored built-in cabinets! Those are the same as they always were, and that refrigerator that is built into them used to be where we stored the milk that we brought down from the hospital! Two students would be on "milk duty" every few days, and they would walk up the hill behind the school with a big plastic milk crate, and go to the hospital cafeteria to pick up the milk order.
Here is the lower grades room, which is now the upper grades room. Those oak-colored cabinets are the same, too! Same clock in there too! I must especially remember the clock, because we all would look at it many times during the day to see when it would be recess time or lunch time or time to go home!
Some of those desks are the same, I think . . . The book shelves are the same in there, too! They have new white boards at the front of this classroom, however, and all new computers, too!

Beyond the car and Isaac, Jason, and Dad . . . you can see the basketball court where we used to play dare base, colors, steal the bacon, capture the flag, four-square, hop scotch, volleyball, dodge ball, etc!!! It was such a great place to spend my elementary school years! I should write a book about all the adventures we had there!

No comments:

Post a Comment